Federal Funding

In 2018 the United Stated Department of Health and Human Services, Children’s Bureau, has interpreted administrative costs for foster care to include costs for children’s and parents’ attorneys. (Child Welfare Policy Manual, Section 8.1B, Question 30). For the first time, jurisdictions can seek federal reimbursement for the cost of legal representation for eligible children and their parents. 

The resources listed below provide information about claiming federal Title IV-E Funds of the Social Security Act to pay for legal representation for children and parents.  For additional information, including sample memorandums of understanding and IV-E claim forms for attorneys, please contact Prudence Beidler Carr.

IV-E Funds



Sample Agreements: